Through a glass, reflectively

I've just finished reading "Beer Is Proof That God Loves Us" by Dr. Charles Bamforth. In turns it's part autobiography, part brewing history, part meditation and then more besides.

Of the dozen-ish books on beer that I've read this year, it's the first one that's really made me stop and think. And re-read. And think again.

And I've plenty more time for thought now - I'm off for a milk-thistle break. For the next few weeks, a series of articles will appear here about the twenty breweries that have been tickling my fancy for some time. Normal topering service will be resumed after Easter.

There's been much talk on the beer blogs recently about the need for more positivism, pride and open-mindness. I'll leave you for now with this quote from Charles Bamforth;

"... whether it is food or any other manifestation of this earthly existence, the beliefs, passions, and indeed, choices are endless. And who is to say what is good or bad? Let us be mindful here. Let us respect and be tolerant of each other's opinions. And surely it should be this way with beer?"

4 comments:

  1. I've just got that on audio book. Now I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't that taken with it myself. I don't do god.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And who is to say what is good or bad? Let us be mindful here. Let us respect and be tolerant of each other's opinions. And surely it should be this way with beer?"

    I don't follow this. If we don't say what's good or bad, then there are no meaningful opinions to respect or tolerate. Nothing wrong with a healthy debate.

    "Who's to say what is good or bad?" Me, for one. You too. Anyone. That's the beauty of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Joe - I think it's about the black & white gainsay. We all have opinions; it's when we're no longer receptive to argument/difference that the self-destruct button gets pushed.

    @Ed - I'm firmly in the agnostic camp but I find the book to be quite thought-provoking.

    @dredpenguin - does he read it himself? If so, that'd be cracking. If you haven't already heard it, he was interviewed on the Brewing Network last year (which is where I first got to know about him):

    http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/690

    ReplyDelete